The Sandon Parish in Essex is mainly a rural and residential area. Farming is the only real business activity in the region and residencies - numbering about 650 - are concentrated mainly in the village of Sandon itself as well as the delightful areas of Howe Green and Butts Green. The Sandon School - whose catchment area extends well beyond the Sandon Parish boundaries - is an academy comprehensive school with some 1100 mixed pupils in the 11 to 18 age bracket.
The A12 arterial road cuts into the west side of the Sandon Parish and provides good links westward to London and eastward to Colchester, Ipswich and the East Coast. Chelmsford, the County Town of Essex, is the nearest town which offers good shopping and recreational facilities. It can be reached by car in only 10-15 minutes or by the Park & Ride Scheme which offers a service to the town every 10 minutes.
The centre of the Sandon Parish is probably represented by the Sandon Village Green with the Crown Inn at one end and the ancient Church of St Andrew's to the side. The Church dates back to c.1080 with the Nave and, later, the Chancel. The North Aisle was added in c.1350. Then, in 1520, the tower and porch were added by Cardinal Wolsey, Lord of the Manor of Sandon Hall. These were built at the same time as Hampton Court and by the same architect, Giralamo de Trevise.
The top of the tower is unusual - it has the appearance of the Cardinal's hat with its strings characterised by the darker bricks. The dome, in fact, is the sounding chamber for the bells and the dark bricks are in the form of crosses to match the St Andrew's crosses further down. St Andrew's Church is unarguably the most significant landmark in the area.
Apart from any close proximity to the A12, the overall Parish of Sandon is generally a quiet and peaceful place. It is an area of natural charm with woods, undulating fields and winding lanes - and ideally suited to people who enjoy the countryside, the farming scene and the village way of life.
Where are we?
Click here to find Sandon village, Howe Green and Butts Green on the map.
Sandon Parish Council Woodhill Road Sandon Essex CM2 7SQ